Company History

2017

Bicester Village completed

A 60-week project to extend the Bicester Village designer outlet completes and is officially handed over to Value Retail.  

2017

Elipta Zero Carbon Building

This ground-breaking project created by Simons Design and Simons Construction wins numerous sustainability awards

2016

Another award for M&S Cheshire Oaks

Building Magazines names Cheshire Oaks the winner of "Test of Time" award 

2015

Simons Group celebrates its 70th anniversary

New Chief Executive

Tom Robinson is appointed as Simons Group's Chief Executive

2014

2012 Opening of M&S Cheshire Oaks

The world's second largest M & S store and the biggest carbon neutral and sustainable store in the world opens its doors to the public

2012

By Royal Appointment

Simons builds Sunninghill Park, home to the Duke and Duchess of York

1989

IDI Gazeley

Simons undertakes its first of many projects for IDI Gazeley

Harvey Nichols

The famous London store is redesigned by Simons

1987 Richard Branson visits Lincoln

Richard Branson opens the Witham Riverside Walk which was funded by Simons

1987

Coat of Arms

Simons is awarded its own Coat of Arms for services to craftmanship

1985

Cornhill Development,Lincoln

Lincoln's Cornhill Development is completed and open for business

1984

Paul and Philip Hodgkinson join the business

Peter Hodgkinson's sons, Paul and Philip, join the family business

Work begins to rebuild the mausoleum at Castle Howard, Yorkshire

Royal Visit

Queen Elizabeth II opens Worksop Town Hall following a refurbishment completed by Simons

1981

Lucy Tower

Simons builds the Lucy Tower car park in Lincoln

1977

Wig & Mitre

The company purchased and redeveloped the Wig and Mitre public house in Lincoln

1976

Cornhill, Lincoln

Work begins on the Cornhill Development in Lincoln

1975

Build Naval Administrative building for HMS Rooke

Simons builds new divisional headquarters for Anglian Water

1974

Simons of Gibralter is formed

South Norfolk District Council offices are built

1970

Theatre Royal York

 A two-tier umbrella extension is built on the Theatre Royal in York

1969

Gordon McIntyre is appointed as Finance Director

1967

New site

New premises are bought on Monks Road, Lincoln

The company purchases its first van

Simons of Lincoln is formed by Peter Hodgkinson and Harry Dunn

1964

Built St Johns Church, Lincoln

1963

Lincoln Cathedral

1959 sees the beginning of the long-standing relationship with Lincoln Cathedral

1959

Surveyor Jo Polkey is appointed as Commercial Director

1957

First office employee

Edith Lubenko is employed as the company's first member of office staff  

W&J Simons wins the RAF contract for airfield maintenance

W & J Simons is formed

1944